Truckers are responsible for moving over 70% of America’s freight tonnage. Owner-operators are a driving force for transporting the freight that fuels the U.S. economy, and they need the best tools for increasing efficiency in transportation. One essential tool that every owner-operator should have is a dependable load board. Load boards enable drivers to connect with shippers and brokers to take on new loads and form relationships with new clientele.
Many load boards are available to owner-operators, and finding the best one may seem like a daunting task. Fortunately, we’re here to help you find the right load board for your business. We’ve gathered the features and services of several industry-standard load boards so that you can make the best decision for your business and begin picking up lucrative loads.
DAT Freight & Analytics
DAT Freight & Analytics has been a trucking industry standard for over 40 years. Their load board subscriptions range from $39.95 to $249 a month, and their different packages offer a variety of helpful services.
DAT TruckersEdge: Standard ($39.95/mo)
- Unlimited post/search
- Alarm for new search results
- Company reviews
- Available loads by state
DAT TruckersEdge: Enhanced ($69.95/mo)
- Includes all standard features
- Average rates for the past 30 days
- Broker credit scores
- Broker average days-to-pay
DAT TruckersEdge: Professional ($99.95/mo)
- Includes all standard and enhanced features
- Average rates for the past 15 days
- TriHaul: Better-paying routes
- IFTA fuel tax calculator
Why carriers choose DAT:
- Great mobile app: DAT Freight & Analytics features an intuitive mobile application that owner-operators can use on the go so that they never miss a load.
- Individual lane market rate: Owner-operators can view the average market rate for individual lanes, enabling them to determine their lucrative routes.
- Hot market map search: Hot market map search allows you to view the locations where truckers are in the greatest demand so that you can negotiate a high rate.
Truckstop.com was founded in 1995 and published the first load board available online. Their experience offering digital loads makes them a valuable contender that owner-operators should consider. Their packages range between $39 to $149 a month.
- Load searching
- Truck/Lane posting
- Decision tools
- Book it now feature
- Includes all basic features
- Fuel desk
- Credit stop broker
- Includes all basic and advanced features
- Load comparison
- Real-time updates
- Rate estimate
- Heat map
- Best-paying loads search
Why carriers choose Truckstop.com:
- Easy to use: Truckstop.com is available on web browsers and through their mobile application. Truckstop Mobile allows users unlimited active searches so that owner-operators can find the best loads instantly.
- Suggested loads: Suggested loads is a feature that helps drivers find loads faster by showing them the most relevant loads available in their area.
- Wide network: Your load board’s network is critical for your success. Having a wide range of different shippers and brokers available will help you find the right loads and form professional relationships.
- Filter features: Truckstop.com and Truckstop Mobile include filtering features to help you find the best matches for your needs. You can filter available loads by rate, equipment type, weight, distance, and more.
Uber Freight offers carriers a great network of shippers with their easy-to-use website and mobile application. Initial sign-up for the service is free, and they also feature an Uber Freight plus program that offers drivers exclusive benefits.
- Upfront pricing and rates on loads
- Facility insights report
- Streamlined workflow
- Hassle-free booking
- Quick pay
Uber Freight Plus
- Discounts on tires and phone plans
- Save on ELDs from partner providers
- Save on trucks, parts, and maintenance
Why carriers choose Uber Freight:
- Free quick pay: Owner-operators get paid in four days or less.
- Powerloop: Allows carriers to access preloaded trailers, giving them more driving miles and less waiting time.
- Bundling features: Allows owner-operators to book both loads and reloads at the same time so that they don’t have to drive with an empty truck.
- Load details: Detailed reports of loads are available for owner-operators before signing up for a load, decreasing the time they spend negotiating with shippers and brokers.
J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc.
J.B. Hunt was established in 1961, and their Carrier 360 service helps owner-operators find available loads. Owner-operators can sign up for the Carrier 360 program for free, and they can receive additional bonuses as they complete loads.
Carrier 360 Member Perks (available to all carriers):
- Save money on gas at Pilot, Flying J, and One9 Speedway
- Maintenance discounts at Pilot Truck Care
- Fuel points
- Save up to 35% on Goodyear tires
- 15% off KeepTruckin hardware and software
- Free quick pay
Carrier 360 Silver Perks (available after completing 12 qualifying loads)
- All member perks
- Two cents additional savings on fuel
- View facility names before signing up for a load
Carrier 360 Gold Perks (available after completing 24 qualifying loads)
- All member and silver perks
- Four cents additional savings on fuel
- Guaranteed payment within seven days
- Free 12-month subscription to SiriusXM
Why carriers choose J.B. Hunt:
- Easy-to-find loads: J.B. Hunt users have an easy time finding and booking loads. J.B. Hunt has a long history of supporting truckers, and their experience in the industry has given them the advantage of having a wide network of shippers, brokers, and carriers available on their load board.
- Search filter: Owner-operators can use J.B. Hunt’s different search filters to find their perfect load. Drivers can search by load type, availability time, and location.
- Map view: Drivers can also search for ideal loads via a graphical map search. Map view enables owner-operators to book loads near their dropoff destinations, allowing them to use their driving time more efficiently.
Convoy opened in 2015 and has since offered owner-operators an efficient digital freight network. Convoy is free to use, and unlike the other load boards covered so far, Convoy offers only one type of membership for drivers.
- Convoy QuickPay
- Automated and suggested reloads
- Convoy fuel card
- Access to low factoring rates
Why carriers choose Convoy:
- Easy to use: Convoy’s website and mobile app are simple and intuitive, making it easy for you to search, bid, and sign up for loads conveniently and painlessly.
- Next-day pay: Unlike other load boards, Convoy takes the wait time out of payment so that you can receive the money for your hard work quickly.
- In-app integration: Convoy’s in-app integration includes an interactive map that features truck stops and fuel prices so that you can plan your journey with ease.
Xpress Technologies combines over 40 years of industry experience with fresh, innovative technology that helps ensure carriers’ trucks are always full. Instead of offering different packages or tiers, we are fully subscription-free, democratizing technologies to best fit the needs of individual carriers.
Xpress Technologies includes:
- The Carrier OS web app
- The Carrier OS mobile app
- No cost FMCSA-registered ELD hardware for HOS compliance
- Machine Learning-powered load recommendations
- Load planning and lifecycle management
Why carriers choose Xpress Technologies:
- Map Search: Map search enables drivers to accept loads on a graphic map interface. Viewing the available loads on the map within the Haulynx mobile app allows carriers to find and book loads near their current drop-off location, which reduces deadhead.
- Digitally book loads: Use the Self Serve Booking option in the app or hybrid model to access loads shared by your dedicated broker. Booking loads digitally is convenient and will save time.
- Great customer service: Whether you’re talking to a broker about a freight opportunity or need support with the Carrier OS app, Xpress Technologies offers great customer service from top to bottom.
- Consistent freight: Xpress Technologies uses machine learning to provide owner-operators with reliable freight catered to their individual needs and preferences.
Learn More About the Best Load Boards on the Market with Xpress Technologies
There are numerous load boards available to owner-operators, and it can be tough to pick the best one for your business. Here at Xpress Technologies, we recommend that you research your different options and keep up to date about load boards through our blog. Whether you’re new to the industry or looking to expand your business, we have great blogs that will inform you all about the benefits of load boards, what to look for in a load board, and why it’s crucial to post your truck on load boards.
Xpress Technologies is much more than a load board — we offer exclusive freight for drivers, and we aim to provide fleets of all sizes with reliable and affordable services by using our best-in-class suite of technology products that puts shippers and carriers in control to maximize profitability.
We’re here to help you grow your trucking business — one journey at a time.